You can make a difference! Shalom Bayit relies on the incredible contributions of our many volunteers. We strive to create meaningful opportunities for each volunteer because we value your time and commitment. By completing the volunteer application you are providing us with important information we can use to discuss your role as part of our team. Our staff will contact you to schedule an interview after considering your application.
Here some ways you can support our work with your time and talent:
- Office Help – Mailings and phone calls are a significant part of our outreach and publicity, as are spreadsheets for tracking. There are many administrative tasks regarding our events, donations, and more! Whether you volunteer with a regular schedule, or you are on call, office help is always welcome.
- Project coordinators work in the community and with other volunteers to help plan and organize one-time events for outreach or fundraising, or projects such as Passover baskets, purple ribbon campaign.
- Interns receive valuable on-the-job training while completing requirements for school programs
- Outreach Volunteers help spread the word about Shalom Bayit at events and are trained to give presentations in the community. We encourage our outreach volunteers to experience helping in other ways so they can develop a fuller understanding of our programs.
- Adopt-A-Family sponsors bring a true Chanukah miracle by providing holiday gifts, food, and other necessities to families escaping violent homes.
- Advisory Board members help us carry out our vision, generate community support, and set new directions for Shalom Bayit.
Who can volunteer?
Anyone who supports our mission and philosophy of working to end Jewish domestic abuse is welcome to apply to be a Shalom Bayit volunteer. Previous experience in domestic violence work is not required. Domestic violence counselor certification is required for any volunteers who have contact with clients (see “How do I get started?” below).
Women of traditionally underrepresented Jewish backgrounds and women who have experienced domestic violence are especially encouraged to apply, to share their wisdom and experience as leaders in the movement against domestic violence. Shalom Bayit encourages diversity of socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious background; sexual orientation, age, (dis)ability, language, Jewish background and denomination, and geographical representation. We value many different skills and life experiences.
Please note that former batterers/perpetrators of domestic violence may not serve in any capacity in the organization.
How do I get started?
To start, fill out our volunteer application. After submitting your form, you can call (650) 574-7233 to schedule a volunteer placement interview. Let us know about your areas of interest. When we meet with you, we will determine together the best match for you in the organization.
For any direct service (contact with clients in person or on the phone), the State of California requires that you complete a 40-hour domestic violence training. We encourage all our volunteers to consider taking the training even if you don’t plan to do direct services, as it offers a wealth of information and background in the field. We are happy to provide referrals to agencies that conduct the training.
Thanks so much for helping us to create a violence-free community that is safe for all women and children.